Delicious LinkedIn Facebook Twitter RSS Feed

Trichotillomania

Trichotillomania is hair loss caused by compulsive pulling or
twisting of the hair until it breaks off.Psychoanalytic theories suggest that the behavior is a way of dealing with unconscious conflicts or childhood trauma

I just recently discovered, i had this when I was younger. I am thankful that my mom (grandma..later story) knew that wasnt normal and helped me to stop, early enough before it got too out of control. I would twirl my hair, until i had i bald patches around my head...i was 3-4 years old. things definately were not normal.

I think i started to twirl because it was about the time that, my daddy had left my family, and i had watched him leave:
I was sitting under the kitchen table. I was wearing a polka dotted jumper and a red hair bow that matched my socks and some black shoes. My momma was on the couch asleep and my brother was over in the playpen. My daddy rode off in the back of a blue ford pickup truck, and all he did was wave and turn around as he left.

As a little girl, i don't think i knew what stress was. I didnt realize what it was i just sort of ..went along with the feeling and dealt with it as best i knew how, and twirling was sort of a relief for me.

My momma wasnt the best at taking care of my brother and me. I ended up helping raise my brother basically, like, I took care of things with him basically until my grandmother got legal custody of the 2 of us. And she was the one that realized that i was twirling, and that is wasnt healthy for me. She was the one that got me help, and i reeeally appreciate that on her part.



*bad news is, later in life, i developed biting my nails as a stress relief :/

0 comments: